Med. Dr. Ivo Mařík (born 6.2.1950, married, five children) is concerned with problems of congenital and acquired defects of locomotor apparatus from the diagnostic, therapeutic and biomechanical point of view more than 25 years. In Czech Republic he elaborated the methods of conservative and surgical therapy of osteogenesis imperfecta and he was one of the first who started to use the method of prolongation of long bones according to Ilizarov and gained meaningful results in children. After 15 years of clinical and research practice, he became the founder and head of the Centre for Defects of Locomotor Apparatus in Prague in 1994. His team assures comprehensive treatment for patients with systemic, limb and combined defects and acquired contractures and deformities of limbs and spine in the fields Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Prosthetics and Paediatrics.
In 2003 he defended the habilitation work with monograph “Systemic, limb and combined defects of the skeleton: diagnostic, therapeutic and biomechanical aspects” (in Czech) at the Department of Anthropology and Human Genetics, The Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague and was appointed associate professor. He gave the basis for a new branch of anthropology so-called “Orthopaedic anthropology” – it was one of the main topics of Vth International Anthropological Congress of Ales Hrdlicka (Prague and Humpolec, Czech Republic, on 2 – 5 September 2009).
- In years 1996 – 2009, he was the main organizer and professional guarantor of 28 symposia (13 with international participation) that were held in cooperation of Ambulant Centre for Defects of Locomotor Apparatus, Society for Connective Tissues, Czech Medical Association J.E. Purkyně and Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics, Czech Medical Association J.E. Purkyně.
- Lectureship at the Department of Anthropology & Human Genetics, Faculty of
Science (1998 – till now) and the Department of Anatomy & Biomechanics, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport (2005 – till now), Charles University in Prague, an elective subject “Biomechanics and Pathobiomechanics of Locomotor Apparatus”.
- Founder and Chief-Editor of the Czech journal LOCOMOTOR SYSTEM – Advances in Research, Diagnostics and Therapy, EMBASE / Excerpta Medica, 1994 –.
- Chairman of the Society for Connective Tissue, Czech Medical Association J.E.Purkyně 2004-.
- Research secretary of The Czech Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics, Czech Medical Association J.E.Purkyně, 2005-.
- Member of the Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand (FESSH), 2008-.
- Member of the International Society of Musculoskeletal & Neuronal Interactions (ISMNI), 2004-.
- Member of the International Skeletal Society (ISS), 2007-.
- Diploma of Fellowship of the American Biographical Institute (FABI), 1999.
- Honorary Member of the International Biographical Centre (IBC), Advisory Council, 1999
- Biography in monograph “Outstanding people of the 20th Century”, 1st ed., International Bibliographical Centre, Cambridge, England 1999.
- From 2000 his biography is repeatedly included in monographs “Who is Who in Medicine and Healthcare”, “Who is Who in the World”, “Who is Who in America”.
He published over 100 papers in various scientific periodical journals, delivered more than 300 lectures at the conferences, symposia, congresses and/or short study stays at home and abroad (Mainz, Hamburg, Regensburg and Cologne – Germany, Budapest – Hungary, Copenhagen – Denmark, Vienna – Austria, Edinburgh – Scotland, Lyon – France, Birmingham – UK, Sydney – Australia, Queenstown – New Zealand, Toronto – Canada, Patras, Corfu, Chalkidiki & Porto-Heli – Greece, Lublin – Poland, Ghent – Belgium, Cairo – Egypt).
Papers in the impacted journals in years 2002 – 2009
- Marik I, Mariková O, Zemkova D, Kuklik M, Kozlowski K. 3-M syndrome in two sisters. J Paediatr Child Health, 38, 2002, p. 419 – 22.
- Marik I, Marikova O, Zemkova D, Kuklik M, Kozlowski K. Dominantly inherited progressive pseudorheumatoid dysplasia with hypoplastic toes. Skeletal Radiol 33, 2004, p. 157 – 164.
- Kozlowski K, Marik I, Marikova O, Zemkova D, Kuklik M. Czech dysplasia metatarsal type. Am J Med Genet, 2004, 129A, p. 87 – 91.
- Marik I, Marikova A, Hyankova E, Kozlowski K. Familial expansile osteolysis – not exclusively an adult disorder. Skeletal Radiol 35, 2006, p. 872-875.
- Marik I, Kuklik M, Zemkova D, Kozlowski K. Hajdu-Cheney syndrome: Report of a family and a short literature review. Australasian Radiology, 50, 2006, p. 534-538.
- Latos-Bielenska A, Marik I, Kuklik M, Materna-Kiryluk A, Povysil C, Kozlowski K. Pachydermoperiostitis – critical analysis with report of five unusual cases. Eur J Pediatr, 166, 2007, p. 1237-1243.
- Hoornaert KP, Marik I, Kozlowski K, Cole T, Le Merrer M, Leroy JG, Coucke P, Sillence D, Mortier GR. Czech dysplasia metatarsal type: another type II collagen disorder. Eur J Hum Genet, 15, 2007, p. 1269-1275.
- Smrcka V, Marik I, Svenssonova M, Likovsky J. Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease in Czech Archaeological Material. Clin Orthop Rel Res, 467, 2009, 1, p. 293-297.
- Bougherara H , Klika V, Maršík F, Mařík I, Yahia H. A New Predictive Model for Monitoring Bone Remodeling. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A. (Acceptance Date:22-Sep-2009, Ref.: JBMR-A-08-0410.R2)
Papers in the other foreign journals in years 2002 – 2009
- Marik I, Kozlowski K. Frontometaphyseal dysplasia (FMD) in 3 and 5/12 year old girl and in the “unaffected” mother (in Polish). Nowa Pediatria, 6, 2002, No.2, p. 58 – 62.
- Marík I, Culík J, Cerný P, Zemková D, Zubina P, Hyánková E. Neue Orthesen mit hoher Biegevorspannung. Orthopädie–Technik, 11, 2002, p. 856-861.
- Ignys A, Krajewska-Walasek M, Marikova O, Marik I, Kozlowski K. Cheirospondyloenchondromatosis. Hungarian Radiol, 77, 2003, No. 4, p. 162-168.
- Marík I, Culík J, Cerny P, Zemková D, Zubina P, Hyánková E. New Limb Orthoses with High Bending Pre-Stressing. Orthopädie-Technik Quarterly, English edition III/2003, p. 7 – 12.
- Marikova O, Marik I, Kozlowski K. Osteogenesis imperfecta and spondylo-costal dysplasia in a male child. Hungarian Radiol 78 2004, No.4, p. 190 – 92.
- Marik I, Marikova O, Zemkova D, Kuklik M, Kozlowski K. Czech dysplasia metatarsal type. Hungarian Radiol, 79, 2005, No.2, p. 89 – 93.
- Marik I, Kaissi AA, Chehida FB, Safi H, Ghachem MB, Masel J, Kozlowski K. Spondylocarpotarsal synostosis syndrome (not rare but infrequently recognized syndrome). Pol J Radiol, 71, 2006, No.1, p. 100 -107.
- Marik I, Zemkova D, Baksova A, Kozlowski K. Spondylo-metaphyseal dysplasia – Kozlowski type. Pol J Radiol, 71, 2006, No.2, p. 98-101.
- Culik J, Marik I, Cerny P. Biomechanics of leg deformity treatment. J Musculskelet Neuronal Interact, 8, 2008, No 1, p. 58-63.
- Sulko J, Marik I, Wisniewska M, Zemkova D, Kozlowski K. Metatropic dysplasia – case reports. Pol J Radiol, 73, 2008, No.3, p. 1 – 4.
- Kantorova E, Kratky Z, Nevsimal L, Marik I, Kozlowski K. A newborn with multiple fractures. Pol J Radiol, 73, 2008, No.4, p. 1 – 3.
- Mařík I, Maříková A, Hudáková O, Zemková D, Myslivec R, Hyánková E, Kozlowski K. Vrozené systémové vady pohybového ústrojí: pokroky v diagnostice. Rheumatologia, 23, 2009, No.2, p.33-41.